Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Why this blog?

There comes a time when an ordinary mortal tells himself: "Enough is enough. I can't take this shit anymore. So what if I am not in a position to change things at a pace of my liking, I can at least do whatever I can do to hasten that change". That "enough is enough" moment has come for me now, thanks to the Commonwealth Games 2010 disaster (well some of you may say the Games were a resounding success and point to the Opening and Closing Ceremonies). It's not that this "enough is enough" moment never came before in my 35 years as a proud inhabitant of this planet and an angry, frustrated citizen of this country. It is just that this wonderful tool of democracy called Blog never existed then. Be it the omnipresent corruption or omnipotent sloth that pervade our society, not a single day of my formative years passed thinking about these things and feeling strongly about them. You may say "you are ten years late in picking up blogging". Well my reply is only now do I have a happy coincidence of a good computer, good Net connection and ample time.
To come back to the reason that triggered this blog, my take on Delhi CWG is this -- The Games were a resounding disaster. Empty stadiums, poor construction, mismanagement, projects running behind schedule, missing volunteers, dogs on racing track, snakes in Games village, whatever could go wrong went wrong. And if somebody says the Opening and Closing ceremonies clinched the matter, it's like saying the cover of a book looked great but the contents were iffy. Will we be able to wipe out all those sorry photos of the Games village from the Net or the world media. The damage has been done. No matter what investment-hungry outsiders may make us believe, India has made an ass of itself hosting these Games.
Let us not forget that in 1947, Japan, South Korea, half of Europe and China were in a bigger shit than us, but look where these countries are. All due to the hard work and, above all, sincerity they displayed in pulling themselves out of the debris of WW-II.      

No comments:

Post a Comment